Early this morning a Walla Walla home caught fire on Poplar Street. Police were first on the scene and helped one of two residents out. The other was trapped in a back bedroom. After repeated attempts, the smoke and heat were too much to reach the person.

When Walla Walla firefighters arrived they found the person and resuscitated them. They are currently at Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla. A total of 41 firefighters were on the scene. The fire started in the backyard for unknown reasons.

It was the second Walla Walla home fire this week.
On Tuesday morning a woman returned to her home to find it on fire!

She called 9-1-1 then proceeded to battle the blaze with her garden hose until firefighters arrived. She, too, was injured and taken to a Walla Walla hospital. Her fire began inside the home for unknown reasons. It is unlikely the incidents are connected. Firefighters say the intense heat blew out the back window and rendered the home uninhabitable.

Thank you Walla Walla police and fire departments for your hard work and risk-taking to keep us safe. We hope both individuals recover and are happy with their temporary housing before they can get back on their feet.